Bedridden with a cold and staying far away from the Uthradam rush, I suddenly sat up.
I saw an Instagram Reel displaying a board that read "Onasadya," with Kerala dishes laid out. It looked like a canteen. They had also mixed in an Onam song. I realized someone made it purely for likes and to flatter the people at their company. I left a comment. Soon after, the justification brigade arrived. I stopped. Well, at least I got a thread for my blog.
So, what I was saying is, we are surrounded by Malayalis who know absolutely nothing about Onam, the Onasadya, or its customs—even my own kids. Nowadays, Onam just means a set saree, a kasavu mundu, a printed shirt, and a Sadya. That's it. What is Onam? Why do we celebrate it? How many people actually know?
Since I was born in Kerala, Onam to me is made of the stories told by my family and neighbors, and the traditions we followed. Today, if you search on Google, you'll get Onam stories. But that's not what Onam truly is.
Long, long ago, out of jealousy, the gods sent Lord Vishnu as Vamana to trample King Mahabali—who ruled Kerala—down to the netherworld. Why? Because back then, there was no deceit, no cheating, and no theft in Kerala. Kerala was practically a heaven. The gods felt humans shouldn't become divine like that.
Vamana came and asked for three paces of land. With two steps, he measured the entire universe. When Vamana asked Mahabali where to place the next step, the King offered his own head. But before being pushed down to the netherworld, he made one request. He asked for a 10-day parole every year to visit his people and celebrate Onam with the Malayalis. From that day on, deceit and cheating returned to Kerala. But when Onam arrives, all Malayalis hide those flaws and eagerly await King Mahabali.
How do we welcome him first? On the day of Atham, every home lays out a Pookkalam (floral carpet). We used to roam all over the village and through the woods to pluck flowers. Then it's 10 days of celebration. Family, neighbors, everyone comes together for Onam games and feasts.
When the King who once turned Kerala into heaven comes to visit, shouldn't we at least do this much? Otherwise, what kind of Malayali are we?
Amidst these celebrations, some special guests arrive. Who are they? The Onam dragonflies, arriving in swarms. I've always felt that they are messengers sent by King Mahabali to check on our preparations.
Then, we have to make the Onathappan. It's traditionally made by kneading clay. It's meant to be placed on the doorstep on Thiruvonam day. Nowadays, you mostly see wooden ones.
On Uthradam day, we buy and keep everything ready. We make Puli Inji and Kalan. Everyone from the village gathers at the shops. As the saying goes, Kanam Vittum Onam Unnanam (One must have the Onam feast even by selling one's property).
There is a ritual at home called Welcoming Onam. Usually, I'd be the one doing it. There's a special 'Ada' made just for the person performing this. After doing the poojas and welcoming the Onathappans, we close the front door. Then open it. We do this three times and ask, Has Maveli come and gone?
How many nights have I dreamed of Maveli! But I haven't been able to see him in person yet.
Then comes a grand breakfast with bananas, pappadam, and banana chips. After that, it's time for the Pookkalam, Onam games, Onam songs, and Thiruvathira.
Then comes the preparation of the Sadya. I remember learning how to husk a coconut during the Onam season. Since all our family and friends were there, the Onasadya was served on the floor in the central hall. Usually, kids are only allowed to serve salt, chips, and smaller items. We'd celebrate joyously, dressed up beautifully in our Onam attire.
Since then, wherever I saw a Sadya, I started serving. Once they finish eating, they smile and say enough stomach is full; That joy—I was taught that serving food is the greatest holy deed.
To the new generation who write that Onam is just about the Onasadya and wearing set sarees without knowing anything about its true essence, please explain it to them. Onam is a celebration of Malayalis coming together. Even if it's just four people, you can celebrate Onam. Everyone, celebrate it.
Happy Onam to all!
Comments
Post a Comment